What exercise is the most important in the progress of the athlete. The squat? No… Deadlift? No! Maybe this bench press? Also no! In fact, the most important exercise for any athlete is twisting on an incline bench! Why? Everything is very simple. During almost all exercises, the muscles of the press and the cortex are the only stabilizers that support the spine in its normal position.
There are, of course, more lumbar muscles, but they are quite strong in themselves. But the press of many athletes remains a lagging muscle group. That is why, it is important to devote a lot of attention to its elaboration. Here again a dilemma. Everyone knows that the most effective is to work on the bottom of the press. And this is again a mistake. Because the press is the only muscle that is simply divided by three tendons. And of all exercises the most effective are twisting on an inclined bench.
Possible harm and contraindications
Let’s start with the questionable. Many people in the hall refuse to press the press under various pretexts. But do they have any real grounds for skipping curls on an inclined gymnastic bench?
Yes, in fact, there are a number of contraindications, in which twisting can cause significant harm to the body:
- Presence of a hernia of the spine. Many professional lifters have herniated intervertebral discs. Even Ronnie Coleman, because of his love for a particular squat, earned it, which did not stop him from performing. But to rock the press with classical methods – it was a hindrance. This affected his figure, not without reason, in recent years – Mr. Olympia, was an ardent representative of “paunchy bodybuilders.”
- Lag behind muscles. This is a rather rare case, but some athletes are very keen on the development of cubes. Due to this fact, there is an imbalance between the muscles supporting the body in the forward position. Eliminates this contraindication with intensive hyperextension (approximately a month of training).
- Possibility of occurrence of a postoperative trauma. Speech is again about the muscles of the spine and the muscles of the abdominal cavity. For some time you can not pump the press after cutting the hernia, or appendicitis.
- The presence of acute peptic ulcer. Yes, of course, many will immediately say that with an ulcer, it is impossible to play sports categorically. But, despite this, it seems that such an occupation, like twisting on an incline bench, can not hurt the athlete. And in fact it also is the most dangerous during treatment.
- The presence of benign neoplasms in the abdomen. When performing twists, there is a strong pumping of the abdominal cavity, due to which, neoplasms can turn from benign to malignant.
The list of precautions and contraindications for pumping the muscles of the press is, of course, very large. But on the other hand it is worth thinking about. What is the probability of one of these factors? And there is even less chance that a person with such problems will go to the hall to complete recovery.
Technique of execution
The technique of performing twists on an inclined bench is extremely simple. But first you need to decide on some nuances.
In particular, this is the choice of that very bench. In many rooms there are two main projectiles. It:
- Actually the bench.
- The Roman chair.
The Roman chair will give a lot of work on the muscles of the press, but it requires a more precise technique of execution. At the same time, the inclined bench can be either with adjustable angle of inclination, or without. Before approaching the projectile, you need to set the correct angle. Usually this is 30 degrees (2nd pin on the bench itself), many are “pseudo professionals”, they expose to 60-70 degrees. This does not increase the load on the muscles of the press, but increases the trauma of the exercise.
After setting up the bench, you can start the exercise.
- Sit on the bench, the feet tightly fixed in the rollers. The position of the feet should not interfere with comfortable twisting.
- Maximum deviate on the bench back, relaxing the cervical muscles.
- Cross your arms over your chest.
- Slowly twist, trying not to lift the torso.
- Fix at the upper point of the amplitude.
Recommendations and Tricks
Despite the seeming simplicity, the exercise has a number of chips that you can master after the basic technique.
The position of the hands. If you need to greatly increase the load, it is not necessary to change the angle of the bench itself, it is enough to change the center of gravity of the body. This is done by changing the position of the hands. The easiest option – hands behind the head. If it already becomes simple, then you can fully extend your hands behind your head. At the same time, the correct technique of execution will become more complicated, but at the same time the load will increase proportionally.
Right breathing. Many hold back air during execution, which is not true at the root, this creates additional pressure in the abdominal cavity, which negatively affects the pumping. In the lower amplitude, inhale. At the ascent – exhalation.
Weighting. Professional athletes (bodybuilders, powerlifters, crossfitters) practice the use of pancakes for strong loading. With the choice you need to approach carefully. In particular, it should not interfere with the correct technique of doing the exercise. It is better to take 2.5 kg per head, than 25 kg per breast.
And most importantly. You can not train the muscles of the abdominal cavity at the beginning of training. Although many people are talking about fatigue and warm-up. After all, they are responsible for maintaining the hull in an even state. And this means that when working with a police station or in a squat, after even the slightest overload of a press in a Roman chair, the indicators will fall significantly, which will slow the growth of the back and legs, and therefore it is possible to perform exercises on the press in the gym only at the end of the training complex. This can be done before hyperextension, as at first, many are tempted to fully lift the body instead of twisting, and a weak loin (pre-tautened by hyperextension), can adversely affect the condition of the spine if the technique is violated.
What everyone knows but is silent
The most popular mistake, for decades, was planted in sports clubs, in physical education, and even in modern gyms. This is the amplitude of the movement! The technique of twisting on an inclined bench does not imply a full rise of the body! Do not keep your back flat! As the name suggests, the exercises are twisting, not lifting the hull. Amplitude, should be very small! But why? After decades, the press was rocked much harder, with a full rise of the hull, which seemed much harder. It’s very simple, if you keep your back flat, most of the load is eaten not by the muscles of the press. In most cases, they are disabled at all. Instead, the load falls on:
- Muscles of the waist. A huge static overload, which can quickly lead to a rupture of the lumbar muscle.
- Neck muscles. The load on them though and is less, but in view of insufficient force of these muscles, it is more catastrophic.
Therefore, it is important to remember that you need to twist, and not climb. The second error is connected with this. Selecting a steep angle for an inclined bench. You can use 60 degrees, but only if the athlete has mastered the technique perfectly.
How correctly to do twisting on an inclined bench it is clearly visible on a photo. If you look carefully, you see mistakes, and how to do it right. Despite the fact that it seems that the “wrong version” is heavier, simple twisting is much more effective than any bicycle.
There are several subspecies of twists on the press on an incline bench. Let us consider in more detail
|Lateral twisting||Lateral muscles of abdomen|
|Twisting anew||Slanting abdominal muscles|
|Fixation in the up position||Musculoskeletal|
All this happens with a very slight change in technique. It is enough to make a slope of 5-10 degrees to the side, and most of the load will fly off the straight muscle, and go into another target
Load on the muscles
Incomplete twisting on an inclined bench is an isolating load on the following muscles:
- Straight abdominal muscle. The main emphasis is on it.
- Lateral abdominal muscles – work as stabilizers of the body;
- Slanting abdominal muscles – a small static load. To increase it, you need to pull the body to a separate leg. (in addition, there is a variation of our exercise – oblique twists ).
- Muscles bark. Exercise only with proper breathing.
Yes, as though to whom it did not seem strange. With a large angle, the extensors of the leg muscles work at full power. This is due to the fact that the body, when twisting, wants to straighten (natural resistance), which means that it connects legs that try to unravel the metal roller. Load is very tangible, albeit isolated.
When is it best to train the muscles of the press? Are there any special programs for training? No! Muscles of the press are studied at each training, regardless of its purpose. During a circular, twisting combined with the lifts of the legs in the vise. This is done to create a deep load on the abdominal cavity. During the split, the press is simply physically impossible to stitch, so it trains after each set. But this applies to exercises without weight. In case of work with weighting, it is better to allocate a separate training day to the press, hammering it completely. This is called a four-day split.
On the last day, there are such exercises as:
- Twisting on an inclined bench (as one of the variations of twists on the press );
- The legs are raised in the vise;
- Lateral twisting on the floor;
- Twisting crosswise;
- A bike;
Together, this creates a 40-minute training, in the superset mode, the press in this case is trained as an opposition to the muscles of the back, and hyperextension and lath train the lumbar region, as compensation to the main loads.
Training of the press is the most important aspect in the preparation of any athlete. First, well-designed straight muscle delivers the drying process to 5-7 kilograms, which allows you not to torment yourself with diets, and slimming complexes. And most importantly – a beautiful press, developed with the help of twisting on an incline bench – it is always a good figure. Men and women first of all pay attention not to the quality of working out deltas or triceps, namely on the abdominal muscles.